April 02, 2006

No title here

I lack the inspiration to title this post. I am, at this point, exhausted and am really just writing this to unwind a bit. Last night, I allowed the kids to have a sleep over again. After a while, the Girl Child called to me and I went running upstairs:

GC: Pappa, my tummy hurts. I don't feel good.

Me: [honestly, thinking at this point that this is the last thing I need] What's wrong, peanut? Is your tummy unhappy?

GC: Well, its not happy; its not angry or disappointed, but its not happy. I think that maybe its just empty. Dinner was a long time ago.

Funny, since I recalled, at that point, exactly what she ate the day. Breakfast, one huge slice of Challah, toasted with butter and jelly. Then we ran errands and came home and she ate a bowl of oatmeal with a half a bannana. Then she went to a birthday party and ate cake and pizza. We came home and she ate 6 dumplings that her brother and I brought home from lunch for her. Then she napped. A little candy after her nap and a little ice cream when we visited her mother at the hospital. Dinner with my parents where she had bread and a whole plate of tortellini. And she was empty. Did I mention that you can see the girl's ribs and she eats like this? Unreal.

So, update on the wife's situation. She is not coming home from the hospital. Not until after she gives birth. We are on a day to day thing here. Her pressure keeps moving in ways that make everyone unhappy and her liver enzymes are increasing. There is no way to know but there is a sense that she is brewing something and everyone is nervous that it could escalate at any moment. So, she stays.

The kids saw her twice today. Once in the morning after breakfast and once after naps. They understand that she is not well. The Boy Child told my mother: "My mother in hobspital; she not feeling well. She sick." The Girl Child hasn't spoken about it but she knew the instant we pulled into the parking lot that this was the hospital that she went to visit her great-grandfather when he was dying. She asked me, as I switched off the engine, "are you sad to be here, Pappa?" I told her I wasn't, that I wasn't sad any more about my grandfather dying but that I was happy about the wonderful life he lived. She seemed to accept that, but, you never know. She's a deep one and there is, really, no question in my mind that she has made a connection between the hospital and death and her mother being there. I hope, merely, that it fades.

I don't want to end on that last thought. Instead, I will end on hope. I leave with a thought of hope. And the words of the Boy Child, who wanted to know if his mother could come home and check on him sleeping. I told him she couldn't.

Finally, I leave you with Kiss me Kate. We, the kids and me, have been listening to the soundtrack.

Its too darn hot.

Posted by Random Penseur at April 2, 2006 09:12 PM | TrackBack

RP - Prayers. For all of you.

Be safe. Be well. And G-d? Watch over mom and her unborn child.

Posted by: Mark at April 2, 2006 10:41 PM

Oh, RP. What a stressful time for you and your family. Wish I could do more than once again send wishes for a safe delivery for your wife and baby, but I am holding you close in my thoughts.

Posted by: Jocelyn at April 2, 2006 10:53 PM

Our thoughts and prayers are with your whole family, but especially VB and Baby Bug.

How far along is she again?

Posted by: Linda at April 2, 2006 11:32 PM

RP, hang in there! You are doing great.

Your little girl seems very deep indeed, what a sweet thing she is.

Send me a little email! I have a lot of friends in NY and if you need something I can organise it with my 'mafia'... (Portuguese community... we tend to stick together!)

Posted by: Zya at April 2, 2006 11:52 PM

I feel for you, RP, and as with everyone wish there was more I could do to help. Prayers and good wishes are all I can send.

Stay strong friend, and as Mark said, "God? If you're not too busy with everything else in the world could you drop in on the Viking Bride and give her her family some good news? Thanks."

Posted by: Oorgo at April 3, 2006 01:23 AM

Love, prayers, and positive thoughts continue your way.

And, I have no doubt God is listening.

Wishing you and your loving Viking Bride strength, as well as patience and understanding for the little ones.

Posted by: Christina at April 3, 2006 07:05 AM

my prayers and thoughts, RP.

Posted by: amelie at April 3, 2006 09:46 AM


I'm sorry that its such a worrisome time for all of you. Hang in there as I felt certain that your wife and unborn child will come through just fine. AND your special care and attention will help both GC and BC to deal with all of this.

blessed be,


Posted by: dee at April 3, 2006 10:22 AM

Oh, RP!

I'm sorry I'm so late in checking in! Hang in there, darling. I'm sure everything will be fine. Much love to all of you, and the Viking Bride and the new baby are in my prayers.


Posted by: Kathy at April 3, 2006 10:33 AM

Sending prayers your way.

Posted by: seawitch at April 3, 2006 11:22 AM

I've been thinking about you and your family all weekend and am very sorry to see that the Viking Bride is forced to remain at the hospital. I hope both she and the wee one are able to stay together a few more days, but that above all they both come through this alive and well in the end.

Posted by: Jordana at April 3, 2006 11:50 AM

Praying really, really hard, kiddo, for you, the lovely Viking Bride, the UC, BC and GC.

You know I've been down this road and I don't wish it on any other human being. . .

But your darling wife IS in the best place to be right now. They'll make sure both of them are as healthy as possible.

Hug the babies for me.

And don't forget to be kind to yourself. Mkay?

{{{{{{{{{{{[ HUGS and LOVE }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Posted by: Margi at April 3, 2006 12:04 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with your wife. I spent 17 weeks on bed-rest, two of those in the hospital... I know what that is like.

Posted by: blair at April 3, 2006 12:32 PM

RP, this is all so familiar. I had the same experience with my first pregnancy, pre-eclampsia evolved to full blown toxemia. I was in the hospital 15 days before my daughter was born via c-section.

23 years later, both mom and daughter thriving.

Take heart, my friend, and trust she's in good hands, with warm prayers being sent to oversee things.

Posted by: Jennifer at April 3, 2006 03:58 PM
Post a comment

Remember personal info?